Re: database market share 2003

From: Data Goob <datagoob_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 23:15:14 -0400

Here dickhead, read and weep:

DB2 Information Management Software in the News

IBM Keeps the Crown -- DBMS Market Share Results for 2003

  For 2003, IBM is once again the new license revenue market share   leader for the DBMS software market, says Gartner Dataquest in their   May 2004 analyses. Overall new license DBMS sales for the industry   increased 5.5%, from $8.3 billion (U.S.) to $8.8 billion, while   overall RDBMS sales increased 5.1%, from $6.7 billion to $7.1 billion,   compared to a 7.2% DBMS market decline in 2002. Dataquest attributes   this growth to the elimination of excess capacity purchased in 2000   and 2001, investment in data warehouse and strategic business   intelligence initiatives, and currency conversion benefits.   Dataquest sees a "return to normalcy for the mature DBMS market"   with market growth expected in the "mid-single digits through 2008."   Learn more at the website.

  http://www.ibm.com/isource/cgi-bin/goto?on=IMNL604B43

This is not nearly as important as understanding that DB2 runs the same code base across all platforms and that Larry Ellison uses SQL-Server on all the Oracle web sites. SQL-Server by the way runs the same code base on alll platforms too. Oracle is dead, it's over for the big red one, less than half what DB2 did in the market. Oracle is old school, over and done.