Re: After Creating New Dtabase...

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 16:36:10 +1000

"Arijit Chatterjee" <arijitchatterjee123_at_yahoo.co.in> wrote in message news:ea01504d.0406162215.58a41e16_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi,
> I am new in Oracle.Yesterday I installed oracle 9i.On that time I
> created a database called FirstDB after that through Db Creation
> Wizard I created another database called SecondDB.
>
> 1.Now how can I access the SecondDB.

Learn how to use a tnsnames.ora, or exploit your ORACLE_SID environment variable.

> After successful creation of SecondDB I got a message your userid is
> change_on_install and password manager and sid secondDB.But after
> creation ,through this user id and password and SID I couldn't able to
> connect the database.

See above.

> Today I think I did some wrong thing.
> I went to TNSNAMES.ORA and change the port of SecondDB because
> FirstDB and seconddb had same port no ..1521.I made secondDB as 1520.

Also learn a bit about how Oracle net services work. The tnsnames.ora defines how you connect to a *listener*, not an instance. And your listener wouldn't suddenly have changed port, just because you created a new database. Leave the port at 1521.

> After that I couldn't able to connect my FirstDb also.
>
> Please Suggest me.How to resolve this issue.Plz don't refer me to
> metalink.
> Because I don't have any ID.

OK, I won't refer you to Metalink. Well, I wouldn't have done that in any case, because that's not the most user-friendly environment I've ever come across. All you need do is visit http://tahiti.oracle.com. Search the documentation for 9i. It's all there, but I suggest you start with the concepts guide, and then the networking stuff.

In future, always include your operating system, since the answer to questions often varies depending on that. If I told you to type set ORACLE_SID=SecondDB, or to type export ORACLE_SID=SecondDB, one will work and one won't, but I have no idea which, because I don't know your O/S.

Regards
HJR