Re: database market share 2003

From: Mark A <nobody_at_switchboard.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 00:42:49 -0600

"Mark Townsend" <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:5raAc.48687$eu.47179_at_attbi_s02...

> Thanks for the heads up. By all means Stay Pure (TM).

I didn't say "stay pure." I just repeated what Ted Codd said. Those are the facts. I didn't start the conversation about the 12 rules of Ted Codd, someone else did.

But I do think that Oracle has moved further form the relational model than DB2, although I suspect that the IBM marketing people are pressuring the lab to add the same or similar enhancements. People seem to like to compare features of the products they buy (at least some of them) even when they are of no real benefit or even if they are somewhat detrimental.

Another problem of moving from the relational model is that SQL standards get compromised which makes it hard for customers to move seamlessly between platforms. But that is part of the marketing strategy, especially of the companies that have the biggest installed base. Received on Thu Jun 17 2004 - 01:42:49 CDT