Howard Rogers: Question about Cloning Procedure

From: ohaya <ohaya_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 01:43:59 -0400

Hi,

I'm starting to go through your cloning procedures again. This time my original database is 'PROD', and I want to clone to a new database called 'TEST', but I'm trying to be a bit more disciplined this time :).

In Step 1, where you're editing the .TRC file, in 'b', you say to add a line to connect. Which database instance should this connect to? In my case, should it be to 'PROD' or to 'TEST'?

In 'c', where you say to add a "PFILE=<init...ora>", if you ever update your instructions, you may want to point out that with 9i, there is not init...ora, but you can go into SQLPlus and do a "CREATE PFILE...FROM SPFILE...". Also regarding 'c', which init...ora file should the PFILE be set to? To the new, edited init...ora?

The reason for my questions is that it seems like when you're in Step 1, the TEST database instance hasn't been created yet, so you can't even connect to it yet? I have a feeling that's why when I went through this the first time, I ended up with both the source and the target database instances pointing to my e:\Cloned directory.

Is there a way to connect to the TEST database instance before it's been created?

Thanks,
Jim Received on Tue Jun 15 2004 - 00:43:59 CDT