Re: Howard Rogers: Question about Cloning Procedure

From: Sybrand Bakker <>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:00:11 +0200

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 01:43:59 -0400, ohaya <> wrote:

>I'm starting to go through your cloning procedures again. This time my
>original database is 'PROD', and I want to clone to a new database
>called 'TEST', but I'm trying to be a bit more disciplined this time :).
>In Step 1, where you're editing the .TRC file, in 'b', you say to add a
>line to connect. Which database instance should this connect to? In my
>case, should it be to 'PROD' or to 'TEST'?

obviously to the target database, so test
>In 'c', where you say to add a "PFILE=<init...ora>", if you ever update
>your instructions, you may want to point out that with 9i, there is not
>init...ora, but you can go into SQLPlus and do a "CREATE PFILE...FROM

Which is of course understood, as some RTFM activities must be assumed

>Also regarding 'c', which init...ora file should the PFILE be set to?
>To the new, edited init...ora?

It should be obviously set to the target database (and the pfile should be edited to replace the source sid by the target sid)
>The reason for my questions is that it seems like when you're in Step 1,
>the TEST database instance hasn't been created yet, so you can't even
>connect to it yet? I have a feeling that's why when I went through this
>the first time, I ended up with both the source and the target database
>instances pointing to my e:\Cloned directory.

In winblows you can create an 'instance' using the oradim utility in a commandline window. All described in your fine manual.

>Is there a way to connect to the TEST database instance before it's been

Sure this is, once you have run oradim

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA