Re: database market share 2003

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 17:21:43 -0700

Serge Rielau wrote:
> You mean this:
> http://www-1.ibm.com/industries/financialservices/doc/content/component/software/270311103.html
>
> "* Multiple operating systems, running on IBM and non-IBM hardware
> * A single code base to deliver a consistent set of functionality
> from small single CPU systems, to SMP, to clusters of either"
>
> That statement is correct.
>
> One can pick on the fact that the author didn't fully qualify "DB2 UDB"
> to "DB2 UDB for Linux Unix and Windows".'
>
> Cheers
> Serge

Lets take this one step at a time since you want to approach this like an attorney ...

First ... you now acknowledge that IBM did, in fact, write the phrase "single code base".

Second ... this issue is not the phrase itself, but rather how it is to be interpreted.

Third ... it is not what was explicitly said ... but rather what was not said upon which you are making the distinction.

Not every fine slip is malicious? How about every slippery interpretation? Seems to me the ethical thing to do would be just to acknowledge that IBM said it and it is pure marketing hyperbole without basis in fact.

Then we can all get back to postings about things of import such as Pink Floyd vs. Bach.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu