Re: Flashback isn't, er, flashing.

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 28 May 2004 15:21:33 -0700

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<40b63c7f$0$3038$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
>

> > Didn't I make some off-hand comment awhile back about being at 9.2.0.1?
> ;-)
> >
> > If you want to try my demos ... and I know they work in 9.2.0.4 they are
> at:
> > http://www.psoug.org/reference/dbms_flashback.html
>

> Hmmmm.
>
> I *know* it all works at 9.2.0.4. But I even know it will work at 9.2.0.1 on
> alternate Thursdays with a following wind (see subsequent posts). What I
> want to know is: what was the bug, and what was the fix.
>
> Put it this way. If I am writing an article on flashback, and wish to put in
> some advice as to known issues and known fixes, I actually have to *know*
> about them, not just sweepingly state that something is wrong that gets
> fixed at some point somewhere between a release and some patch. I need a bit
> more science than that!!
>
> That said, some kind soul would have come forward with such information by
> now, I'm sure, if it existed. So perhaps it doesn't. As Joel sort of put it,
> something mysteriously wrong goes mysteriously right at some indeterminate
> point on the journey between .1 and .4, and perhaps that is as much as we
> need to know... but that all sounds vaguely 1960s psychedelia to me.

I think the problem you are coming up against here is that Oracle doesn't want to exercise the manpower to publish every detail of every problem it fixes. To figure it out via reverse engineering violates the adhesion contracts accepted when buying or downloading the product (and probably laws in some places, IANAL). So unless you happen to know someone who actually worked on the issue and is willing to talk about it, or make friends in O that want such knowledge transfer to happen for whatever reason (say, to get PR for "open software support"), or just get lucky with the
poke-at-it-with-an-eleven-foot-pole approach, like, Heisenberg's your daddy-o.

I'd like to see this when my LGWR goes nuts on an RT lock: http://www.fractaldomains.com/ronda/phil/images/psychedelic.jpg

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.