Re: PITR from a Cold Backup

From: Charles Davis <cdavis10717_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 15:55:29 -0400

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:40b51e3e$0$1582$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...

> "Charles Davis" <cdavis10717_at_comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Hi, all.
> >
> > Is it possible to restore an Oracle cold backup, and then apply archives
> > created after the cold back to recover the database to a specific point
in
> > time?
>
> Of course. The temperature of one's backups does not determine what you
can
> do with them. Whether an incomplete recovery is possible or not is only
> governed by whether the database is in archivelog mode, and whether the
> archives thus produced are all still safe and sound.
>
> > If so, can you please point me to the documented process, the startup
> > method, recovery clause, etc.
>
> The procedure would be *exactly* the same as it would be for performing an
> incomplete recovery with a hot backup.
> Namely:
>
> restore all data files (but not the control files or online redo logs)
> startup mount
> recover dataabse until <something>
> alter database open resetlogs.
>
> There is nothing at all different about it, hot or cold.
>
> Regards
> HJR

Thank you, HJR.

As I read your reply it seems as though I restore the datafiles but keep the newer control and redos.

So, the control files have 'knowledge' of the archives created after the backup and so will drive the recovery process?

I was assuming I would also restore the controlfiles and redos, with the datafiles, and then just blithely apply archive logs created after the backup and up to the present time.

Am I being clear? I am about to attempt a recovery as I've described using a split-mirror backup of a 1.4TB database to prove a DR capability, and I thought I understood what I had to do, but your reply was not what I was expecting.

Your expert advice is greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Charles Received on Thu May 27 2004 - 14:55:29 CDT