Re: PITR from a Cold Backup

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 08:46:37 +1000

"Charles Davis" <cdavis10717_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:D5mdneji9-C7YCnd4p2dnA_at_comcast.com...
> Hi, all.
>
> Is it possible to restore an Oracle cold backup, and then apply archives
> created after the cold back to recover the database to a specific point in
> time?

Of course. The temperature of one's backups does not determine what you can do with them. Whether an incomplete recovery is possible or not is only governed by whether the database is in archivelog mode, and whether the archives thus produced are all still safe and sound.

> If so, can you please point me to the documented process, the startup
> method, recovery clause, etc.

The procedure would be *exactly* the same as it would be for performing an incomplete recovery with a hot backup.
Namely:

restore all data files (but not the control files or online redo logs) startup mount
recover dataabse until <something>
alter database open resetlogs.

There is nothing at all different about it, hot or cold.

Regards
HJR Received on Wed May 26 2004 - 17:46:37 CDT