Re: database market share 2003

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 05:44:24 +1000

"rkusenet" <rkusenet_at_sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:2hmh03Fdir3uU1_at_uni-berlin.de...
> http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/040526/tech_database_marketshare_1.html
>
> Interesting to see that database sales for windows is more than
> Unix.

Interesting, but not entirely surprising, surely?

Very few databases on the planet would require the sort of O/S feature set that Unix/Linux brings to the party, and even fewer DBAs would be familiar with the Unix/Linux environment (the ubiquitous nature of Windows on the desktop takes care of the 'comfort' factor, however short-sighted that might be). "Good enough" is often just what the customer needs (I had one just the other week running a 100MB+ database in Access. Not much chance of them ever investing in Oracle, I suspect).

The interesting snippet for me in that article was that Oracle has a 69% share of the Linux database market and 300%+ growth. Where the real exciting action is, Microsoft is nowhere to be seen, of course.

Regards
HJR Received on Thu May 27 2004 - 14:44:24 CDT