Re: Init.ora Parameters & Memory

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 18:13:39 +1000

"Mill" <mill.h_at_ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:Eaitc.29$%31.1_at_newsfe1-win...

> >Well, either that's a typo, or you've got serious problems. You have 1GB
> for
> > a shared pool. And only 1200 buffers in the buffer cache (assuming, for
> > moment a 32K db_block_size, that would be a paltry 38MB).
>
> Hi
>
> Thanks for your comments, I am afraid that is not a typo, I have inherited
> the system
> from a so called DBA.
>
> The DB_block_size is set to 8192.

So, it's even worse than I thought!

> The DBA has informed me there is not much i can really due to the system
> do our ERP system
> using a rule based optimiser rather then a cost based optimizer, this
seems
> very strange indeed.

It is indeed strange, and complete garbage. It's a shame you're not using the cost-based optimiser, but the DBA is probably right that you can't change it: suddenly making an app designed for one optimiser work with the other is a reciepe for disaster. But that's a completely separate issue to how you configure the SGA: regardless of the optimiser mode, you need an SGA of minimum size that is yet adequate for the demands made on it.

Again, I can't say whether your shared pool is oversized or not, nor whether the buffer cache is anaemically undersized, but it certainly smells that way at first sniff. The only thing you can do is have a look at statspack, and take your staspack report to www.oraperf.com for a bit of free, real-time, analysis. Unfortunately the course you are attending doesn't cover statspack, or performance tuning at all in any meaningful way, if it's the Fundamentals I course that is... but at least it's a start, and I think you will enjoy it.

Regards
HJR