Re: Init.ora Parameters & Memory

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 23:00:07 -0700

Mill wrote:

>>Well, either that's a typo, or you've got serious problems. You have 1GB

> for
>
>>a shared pool. And only 1200 buffers in the buffer cache (assuming, for a
>>moment a 32K db_block_size, that would be a paltry 38MB).

> Hi
>
> Thanks for your comments, I am afraid that is not a typo, I have inherited
> the system
> from a so called DBA.

Then my recommendation would be that you find a local tuning expert. One that is an expert based on feedback from customers rather than self-promotion.

And have that person train you while tuning the system. Use the money you were going to use to buy the RAM. It will be a far better investment for your company and for your resume.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu