Re: Oracle GUI admin tool?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 17:20:50 GMT

Ed Stevens wrote:

> On Thu, 20 May 2004 18:22:28 GMT, Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
> wrote:
>

>>Hans Forbrich wrote:
>>
>>Another related question that has never been answered - if you create an
>>OEM respository that will be used exclusively by the DBAs to manage other
>>instances (database and app server), does that repository need to be
>>licensed?  What is the defintion of user for that?
>>

> There may be a twist that I'm overlooking, but isn't the basic license
> for the software running on a box -- not for the database itself? So
> the issue isn't whether you are creating another db for your
> repository, but whether or not you are installing Oracle software on
> another box.

Depends on your license metric. I believe you are assuming current definition of CPU-based license, whereas the "named-user 'plus'" metric is valid as well.

In the OEM/OMS case I posit that the OMS and the OEM repository (OEMr) for an enterprise SHOULD be on it's own box, and available only to the admin/maintenance community. (This is in part due to my believe that a server should have a maximum of 1 instance.) The instance(s) being managed are then on servers other than the OMS/OEMr.

(It's kinda-sorta like the discussion of the Oracle9i App Server Infrastructure. A necessary or highly recommended piece, but not visible to the end user.)

/Hans Received on Fri May 21 2004 - 12:20:50 CDT