Re: Insuffficient HW for Oracle 10g?

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.verwijderdit.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 19:23:05 +0200

On 21 May 2004 08:49:31 -0700, mrazek_at_compik.fd.cvut.cz (Martin Mrazek) wrote:

>Hi,
>although I have only 256MB of RAM (win xp prof), the installer of
>oracle 10g didn't protested to install. The performance of my comp
>went down considerably. There are a lot of automatically started
>processes belonging to oracle (in win task manager>processes for
>example oracle.exe, isqlplus...). How can I force Oracle not to start
>these automatically after turning on the comp, but just when I work
>with oracle?
>
>MM

Most of these services don't do anything when you don't use them. They don't use CPU and they hardly consume memory. Consider upgrading your RAM to at least 512 M. Oracle 10g is not Personal Oracle 7.3, and you are doing yourself a disservice if you try to learn a crippled product. And sqlplus for windows doesn't exist anymore in 10g, so you *have* to use isql*plus, if you don't want to work with DOS boxes.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA