Re: performance impact of index

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.verwijderdit.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 19:19:43 +0200

On Fri, 21 May 2004 10:48:07 -0400, "Gordon" <gordon_t_wu_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a schema which is highly denormalized and purely read-only. For the
>purpose of fast data access, is there any reason not to create a bitmap
>index on every field for every table?
>
>Gordon

There is every reason NOT to do this, as the optimizer will likely not use most of these indexes AT ALL, or it will choose the WRONG index. What makes you think this will get you 'fast data access'. Do you subscribe to the 'avoid full table scans at all cost, and index everything' myth? It doesn't work, as it is a myth.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA