Re: Redo Log File Mirroring

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.verwijderdit.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 19:16:38 +0200

On 21 May 2004 10:07:58 -0700, kybyrd_at_mail.med.upenn.edu (Karen Byrd) wrote:

>After reading two docs, I added a member each for my 3 redo log groups
>for mirroring.
>
>Everything looks fine via v$log and v$logfile.
>
>However I read in another doc later that I should have created my redo
>mirrors while the database was just mounted NOT open.
>
>Will the fact that I created my mirrors while the database was open
>pose a problem when I need to shutdown then re-start my database ?
>
>I'm using 8.1.7.4.0.

There should be no problem creating and dropping logfile members in an open database. You might need to issue ALTER SYSTEM SWITCH LOGFILE statements to make sure you get access to each redolog group in turn, but that is all there is to it.

The only advantage of doing this in a mounted database is you don't need the log switches.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA