Re: What so special about PostgreSQL and other RDBMS?

From: Greg D. Moore \(Strider\) <mooregr_deleteth1s_at_greenms.com>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 04:48:24 GMT

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1084657054.933581_at_yasure...

> So you would, in fact, intentionally not apply Microsoft security
> patches to your database servers. That is certainly one choice.

Yes, in fact in many cases I would not.

Keep in mind, that most hotfixes are NOT regression tested and there's always a fairly good sized risk from applying them.

Note the actual number of patches that apply to SQL Server vs. say IE or Windows Media Player, etc.

In most cases those have little to no reason to be ON your SQL Server in the first place, so applying a hotfix is generally a HIGHER risk than not applying it.

(note Service Packs are regression tested and we tend to be much more likely to apply those.)

> > Our customers who run our application on SQL Server *always* use
> > it behind the firewall and one of them has SQL Server up and running
> > for more than 6 months. No problem for them.
>
> Which is only possible if you never applied a security patch. Once
> again ... a choice.

Yes, of course it's a choice. Your point? Received on Sat May 15 2004 - 23:48:24 CDT