Re: What so special about PostgreSQL and other RDBMS?

From: Greg D. Moore \(Strider\) <mooregr_deleteth1s_at_greenms.com>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 04:45:22 GMT

"Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net> wrote in message news:bWupc.6750$gr.523362_at_attbi_s52...
> We have a slew of SQL Servers behind a firewall (none are outside it) and
we
> have to apply the patches monthly. If we do not then we have what
happened
> a little over a week ago when the latest worm came out. We had to apply
an
> emergency patch in the middle of the day on our production systems that
used
> Windows. If we waited the machines would have kept rebooting due to the
> worm. (as they already had 5 times that day). So don't give me this
hooey
> that you don't have to patch the servers monthly; we are at the whims of
> some teenager in some foreign land. (and sometimes not so foreign)
> Jim

I will give you that hooey. While in most cases we are quite religious about applying patches, for reasons I can't get into, we could not apply the patches against Slammer for months. And yet, Slammer had ZERO effect on us. Why? Because there are other security measures besides patches. If someone can't reach your SQL Server, then they can't Slammer to it. If you're getting hit, even behind the firewall, you've suffered from the jelly donut issue and have a bigger issue than applying patches during the middle of the day. Received on Sat May 15 2004 - 23:45:22 CDT