Re: Deletion of archive logs.

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 16:14:31 GMT

<Snip>

> So, after a few "WTF" emails, I find out that that top
> database administration manager for my entire company (and this
> is a really large multinational data-centric company) authorized
> this script. His statement was, "We don't want Oracle to hang,
> so our script deletes archive logs and then sends an email to the
> DBA team so they can do hotbackups and also restore the DR
> sites".

Your top guy implements such a script because he didn't want Oracle to hang?!?!? What about solid backup *and* recovery techniques! What happens between the time the archived redo logs are deleted and the time it takes a DBA to read an email and jump into action? I don't know about you guys, but I tend to get caught up in a few meetings and can't get to my email for a few hours. Or, I tend to go home in the evening and lead a life outside of work for a while. Or I'm sleeping......I think you get the point.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com