Deletion of archive logs.

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 9 May 2004 14:00:07 -0500

Get this. At 8am, I finish deploying our app to production, inclusive of data loads. (Up until this point, we have performed our data loading in QA and exported the data to production). At 12:30, I recieve an FYI that our DBA team can't bring up our Disaster Recovery site because a script deleted some of the archive logs from the production site while my team was performing their latest deployment. They would have to hotbackup production and then bring that over to DR and bring it up from that. So, after a few "WTF" emails, I find out that that top database administration manager for my entire company (and this is a really large multinational data-centric company) authorized this script. His statement was, "We don't want Oracle to hang, so our script deletes archive logs and then sends an email to the DBA team so they can do hotbackups and also restore the DR sites".

Whew! And you guys bitched at me cause I went against the dba wishes and had local database instances for development. I sure wish these guys would get their scripts into CVS like the rest of us who build applications. At lease someone with some semblance of common sense could have said "What the hell are you guys doing?"

--
Galen Boyer