Re: Deletion of archive logs.

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 10 May 2004 16:30:27 -0500

On Mon, 10 May 2004, dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com wrote:
> <Snip>
>

>> So, after a few "WTF" emails, I find out that that top
>> database administration manager for my entire company (and
>> this is a really large multinational data-centric company)
>> authorized this script.  His statement was, "We don't want
>> Oracle to hang, so our script deletes archive logs and then
>> sends an email to the DBA team so they can do hotbackups and
>> also restore the DR sites".

> Your top guy implements such a script because he didn't want
> Oracle to hang?!?!? What about solid backup *and* recovery
> techniques! What happens between the time the archived redo
> logs are deleted and the time it takes a DBA to read an email
> and jump into action? I don't know about you guys, but I tend
> to get caught up in a few meetings and can't get to my email
> for a few hours. Or, I tend to go home in the evening and lead
> a life outside of work for a while. Or I'm sleeping......I
> think you get the point.

Yeah, I know. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to actually think or say. Its a bit of a political mindfield, but at least I know one thing, I can do no wrong now. Whatever any of these DBA's might try to point out as poor practice, I will just say, "You delete archive logs, you have no ground to stand on".

--
Galen Boyer