Need help on Oracle Applications Upgrade from 11.5.4 to 11.5.9

From: Joe <yung103_at_netvigator.com>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 20:56:55 +0800

Dear All,

This post maybe a little bit, but please continue to read it and kindly give me some advise.

I am going to upgrade the Oracle eBusiness Suite from 11.5.4 to 11.5.9 on IBM AIX.
I would like to ask for advise from you guys.

I heard from a DBA that he used to do the following 1. have a fresh installation of 11.5.9 on the target instance 2. copy the database (with prerequisite tasks completed) from the source instance to the target instance,
3. start to apply the 11.5.9 maintenance pack on this database 4. complete the post-install tasks

This method has the following advantages

1. less download
2. less error
3. when anything goes wrong, you can switch back to the source instance
immediately

Now, I am going to follow his method to upgrade the Oracle Apps from 11.5.4 to 11.5.9.
And my plan is

  1. I will follow the doc "Oracle Applications Release 11.5.9 Maintenance Pack Installation Instructions" Section 1: Pre-Install Tasks to do the prerequisite tasks on the source instance.
  2. Since the source instance is already running 8.1.7.4, I will do nothing to the database tier.
  3. Since Oracle 9i is not certified on 11.5.4, I am going to do this on the target instance to make both instances' database 8.1.7.4. On the target instance, I will have a fresh installation of 11.5.9 with fresh database (9.2.0.3). After the fresh installation completed, I will remove the 9.2.0.3 oracle software at /d1/oracle/proddb/9.2.0 and the datafiles at
    /d1/oracle/proddata. Then I will manually install the 8.1.7.4 oracle
    software at /d1/oracle/proddb/8.1.7.
  4. I clone the source database to the target instance at
    /d1/oracle/proddata, and start it with the 8.1.7.4 oracle software.
  5. Then I will apply the 11.5.9 maintenance pack to this database.
  6. Finally I will do the Post-Install Tasks.
  7. Optionally, I will upgrade the database to 9.2.0.4.

Is this plan workable?
Can anyone give me some advise on the plan? or suggest me a better approach? Thanks in advance for any input.

Best Regards,
Joe Yung Received on Fri May 07 2004 - 07:56:55 CDT