Re: Help with recovery

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 16:30:39 +1000

Anurag Varma wrote:
> "Joel Garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in message news:91884734.0404281547.6729a3d0_at_posting.google.com...
>

>>kevinmmcgowan_at_yahoo.com (Kevin) wrote in message news:<288965ad.0404280845.37533c29_at_posting.google.com>...
>>
>>>I need to restore a table to its state this morning.  Unfortunately,
>>>don't have any exports recently and would essentially like to rollback
>>>everything previous to 945 this morning.  It looks like I can
>>>accomplish this using the RECOVER command (yes, I understand I'm going
>>>to have to recover the whole database, I can deal with that).  I just
>>>want to make sure there's nothing else I need to do besides RECOVER
>>>DATABASE UNTIL TIME '2004-04-28:09:00:00'
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance
>>
>>Don't forget to post platform and version info.  10g has flashback
>>table command, but requires some configuration and thought to be able
>>to go back more than 15 minutes.  It's kind of the opposite of archive
>>logging.
>>
>>jg
>>--
>>@home.com is bogus.
>>"How many people here are using RAC?"
>>2 people raise hands, out of ~70 DBA's.

> Even in 9i you can recover table contents if you have set your flashback.

[snip]

> SQL> delete from xmltest;
>
> 9 rows deleted.
>
> SQL> commit;

[snip]

> SQL> insert into recover_xmltest select * from xmltest as of timestamp (systimestamp - interval '30' minute);
>
> 9 rows created.

[snip]

> Anurag

Ah, but you cheated! You did a delete, which can certainly be flashbacked from (I hate the grammar, but hopefully you know what I mean!). The original poster didn't say, but you can't flashback past DDL commands (until 10g, anyway) -so if his problem was that the original table was dropped, rather than bulk-deleted, flashback in 9i isn't going to help him any.

As a general point, though, the idea that flashback can help us avoid the need to perform incomplete recoveries is an extremely important one.

Regards
HJR Received on Thu Apr 29 2004 - 01:30:39 CDT