Re: LTM

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 16:36:37 +1000

Marco wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> First of all, thank you for the reply.
>

>>>If I have a LTM (Locally Managed Tablespace)
>>>defined with "uniform
>>>size", is it possible to alter the
>>>size (of the extents...) via
>>>sqlplus (without OEM) ?
>>>Is't possible online?....offline....?

>>No, for the simple reason that if you could,
>>all the extents wouldn't be
>>very uniform anymore.

> I would like to alter all extents, pre-existents included.
>
> I have only write wrong DDL..... "uniform size 512K" instead of
> "uniform size 3M" and I searched for the "best" way to remedy ;-)
> (the tablespace already contains data segments)
>
> thank you very much and excuse me for my awful English language.....
>
> Marco.

Create a new tablespace with 3M extents, and then 'alter table X move tablespace NEWONE'. Finally, drop the original tablespace.

Not particularly elegant, I suppose...

...but then you are not supposed to worry about extent sizes really at all with LMT, so you are not supposed to be thinking "I should have created 3MB extents" in the first place.

Who cares in any case? Your tables will simply have six times the number of extents in one than they would in the other, which is of no consequence at all, ordinarily.

As an aside, I would also just mention that you should have extent sizes of 64K, 1MB, 8MB, 64MB and 256MB... the idea of creating 3MB extents (oe even 512K extents) simply means you are trying to create 'the right extent sizes', and hence worrying about extent sizes, when the whole point of LMTs is that you don't need to, and shouldn't.

Regards
HJR Received on Thu Apr 29 2004 - 01:36:37 CDT