Re: MSSQL to Oracle 9i - conversion

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 03:06:39 GMT

clayfix98_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> -- We currently have a database script that executes on MSSQL 2000
> (Windows). It builds the database for MSSQL 2000 for our application.
>
> Now, we want to take the same exact script and use it for Oracle 9i on
> UNIX.
To paraphrase others:

SQL is SQL. But DBMSs are not the same and they are allowed to translate the SQL differently. For perfectly valid reasons, what works well in SQL Server may not work well in Oracle and what works well in Oracle may not work well in SQL Server!

PLEASE get yourself a copy of Tom Kyte's book "Expert One-on-one Oracle" and browse through that. It is filled from one end to the other with examples of "how a straight port will fail" and "if you want performance, do it this way".

It is quite possible that using the exact same script will not be to your advantage.

/Hans Received on Wed Apr 28 2004 - 22:06:39 CDT