Re: MSSQL to Oracle 9i - conversion

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 02:30:45 GMT

<clayfix98_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi all, I am not very familiar with database but I have a general
> question about Database Scripts.
>
> -- We currently have a database script that executes on MSSQL 2000
> (Windows). It builds the database for MSSQL 2000 for our application.
>
> Now, we want to take the same exact script and use it for Oracle 9i on
> UNIX.
>
> Is there a tool that would convert the database script from MSSQL 2000
> to Oracle 9i (UNIX)? It would be great to find a program that would
> take my original MSSQL 2000 script and it convert it to the proper
> syntax so that Oracle can use it to build the my database. (Does
> Oracle have a tool or mode that will read MSSQL 2000 syntax?) Our
> database is not very fancy but I notice that SQL syntax for Oracle
> looks a lot different than the MSSQL script.
>
> Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
>
> --Rookie database person

You can use their migration workbench, but I suspect that in Oracle you will already have a database and create a schema for your tables. You need to understand that Oracle!=MS Sql Server. You will have to learn a bunch of concepts that are different than what you already know. In addition, I would look at the application because you are going to have some nasty surprises when you connect up; things work differently. Jim Received on Wed Apr 28 2004 - 21:30:45 CDT