Re: Oracle 7 > Oracle 9 question

From: Walt <walt_askier_at_SPAMDAMyahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 11:07:49 -0400

DjPaolo wrote:

> I've tested the option export/import on a W2K testserver with Oracle
> 9. This works just fine. The problem here is that it is not an option
> to reinstall the OS on the current server because of all the financial
> applications that are on it. The only option here is an upgrade of NT4
> to W2K. After removing Oracle 7, upgrading to W2K and installing
> Oracle 9, it can be possible that there are any problems because
> Oracle leaves some keys behind in the registry? What are the problems
> I can expect?

My hunch is that most of the problems you'll run into will be caused by anomalies due to the state of the OS. Unfortunately, I have no idea exactly what they might be or what symptoms to look for. I always try to start with a clean install of Windows before trying to build anything on top of it.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to completely remove all vestiges of Oracle 7 before installing Oracle 9. This means removing the registry entries as well as deleting the files. It may not be strictly necessary, but it shouldn't hurt.

--
//-Walt
//