PL/SQL: Using a constant for values in set

From: Randi W <randiwolner_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 14:05:35 +0200

I am writing a PL/SQL program that several times will perform test checking whether a value can be found in a set of strings. I would like to have the set defined as a constant value in the top of the programt. Is that possible?

I would like to do something like this:

ConstFirst CONSTANT VARCHAR2(500) := '''TEST1'', ''TEST2''';
.
.

SELECT 'X'
INTO V_Found
FROM TestTable
WHERE Testcode IN (ConstFirst) AND
RowNum = 1;
.
.
... and later in the program (TestRec is a row from the open cursor)
IF TestRec.Testcode IN (ConstFirst) THEN . . .

I have tested this with and without apostrofs. I do not get any compile error, but I do not get the result I was hoping for when executing it. Will I have to use dynamic SQL to be able to use a constant value this way?

Thanks for any help,
Randi W Received on Mon Apr 26 2004 - 07:05:35 CDT