Re: Partitioning Large *Existing* Table

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 15:51:38 +0000 (UTC)

There is no way you can get around the need to have two copies of the data somewhere at some time.

One option is simply

    create table as select nologging
    rename table

The biggest hassle, though is probably creating the indexes as local indexes with all the bits in the right tablespaces.

The reference below is a little note referencing a suggestion I made in my book about creating indexes on large partitioned objects - it may give you some ideas.

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/ch_13.html#Creating%20unusable%20indexes

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

April 2004 Iceland  http://www.index.is/oracleday.php
June  2004      UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar
July 2004 USA West Coast, Optimising Oracle Seminar
August 2004 Charlotte NC, Optimising Oracle Seminar
September 2004 USA East Coast, Optimising Oracle Seminar
September2004 UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar