Partitioning Large *Existing* Table

From: SAP BASIS Consultant <basis_consultant_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 21 Apr 2004 13:28:23 -0700

Hello,

I have researched 8i+ partitioning, and I understand how to create a partitioned table. Thus, for the sake of this posting, suppose that I would like to create a table TDATE partitioned by range, my understanding (Unfortunately, I don't have access to an Oracle system now) is that I would issue a command such as the following:

CREATE TABLE TDATE ..... PARTITION BY RANGE(DATE) (PARTITION F1 VALUES LESS THAN ('01-APR-2001', 'DD-MON-YYYY', PARTITION F10...));

However, suppose that there is a large (Say 10GB or 20GB) table named TDATE which is not partitioned, and which I would like to partition.

Would I have to go through a procedure such as backing up the TDATE and/or copying it to a temp. table, exporting its data, deleting TDATE, recreating TDATE as a partitioned table, and reimporting the data into TDATE, or is there is an easier way to partition an existing table?

Thanks in Advance,
SAP BASIS Consulant Received on Wed Apr 21 2004 - 15:28:23 CDT