Re: Backup to disk: file location.

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 22 Apr 2004 08:35:55 -0700

chicagoandy_at_hotmail.com (Andrew Metcalfe) wrote in message news:<a2588ec3.0404201217.4c92dcb4_at_posting.google.com>...
> I'm having a disk space crunch, and my backups are failing.
>
> I'm a bit confused, because all my datafiles add up to 8 gigs, and
> I've got 9 gigs free on that disk... Yet they're failing with an error
> saying insuficient disk space.
>
> Anyways, I figured an easy solution was to have the backups land on a
> different disk, which has oodles of free space.
>
> I can't figure out how to do this.
>
> I've created the backup jobs using OEM on Oracle 8.1.5. I used the
> Backup Wizard. Under the Configuration screen, I hit 'Load Wizard'.
> Under the Channels tab, the Default Channel is selected, which points
> to the disk mentioned above. The "Insert and Remove" buttons are
> greyed out.
>
> I presume that in order to change the location where my backups land,
> I need to add a new channel, but I can't do that because the buttons
> are greyed out. In fact, all the settings under the "Edit Backup
> Configuration" screens are greyed out.
>
> Why is everything greyed out?
>
> Thanks,
>
> _Am

Andrew,

there is that rman utility that works from the command line. it throws these things called error messages that can be quite helpful in determining the actual problem.

8.1.5?
to quote Johnny Mac ... "YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!"

migrate and lose the gui.
but first, get an good full export and cold backup set.

Pd Received on Thu Apr 22 2004 - 10:35:55 CDT