Compressing emptied User-Datafiles

From: Clemens Keil <clemens.keil_at_meduni-graz.at>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 22:53:59 +0200

Hello All,
Since I found great help in this group maybe you can sugest a solution for the following:
I have a large 8i database with 4 User-Datafiles each carrying about 5 GB for Tablespaces.
The server was full one day since there were large uncompressed pictures stored in the db as blobs (stupid application). We changed that to file paths in a separate file system, exported the blobs and dropped the blob-records and only store the file path string of the pictures in the external file system. So the Datafiles are almost empty now. Nevertheless the User-Datafiles are full (red bar in the Storage Manager is on maximum) and therefore the Datafiles cannot be shrinked. Nevertheless the whole database dump is only a small 200MB-file (compared to the 20GB datafiles).
Is there a way to let the system know that there is much free space in the datafiles? A kind of compressing feature as eg. in MS-Access? Thank you for your help. Received on Mon Apr 19 2004 - 15:53:59 CDT