Re: The old raw devices chestnut.

From: Andrew Hamm <ahamm_at_mail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:45:29 +1000

Data Goob wrote:
> I've found jfs to be "fast enough", considering we are moving
> from SQL-Server, no raw-disks on that one ( chuckles and laughs
> allowed :-) . The risks that raw-disks present makes me wonder
> if they are worth it. Restoring raw-disk databases presents its
> own set of problems, whereas regular files can be backed up and
> restored more simply and with more flexibility.

Ummmmm, if you try to archive regular files when the database is active, you *will* have an inconsistent snapshot of the database. Do you perform these backups only when the engine is offline? I can't see this being safe on any brand of engine if the database is "twinkling". The only way to get a consistent (ie logical instant in time) backup of a live, active database is to use a tool which maintains the illusion on your behalf. Received on Tue Apr 13 2004 - 19:45:29 CDT