Re: The old raw devices chestnut.

From: Andrew Hamm <ahamm_at_mail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:41:26 +1000

Mark Bole wrote:
> I haven't worked with an Oracle raw device since version 7.3 seven
> years ago, and would never go back. The administrative overhead is
> just too much of a headache.

[Posting from comp.databases.informix]

I've never understood the "administrative overhead" argument against raw spaces. Can you elicidate on the administration you think needs to be applied? In my experience, the only admin overhead is making sure that a new, naive sysop doesn't try to turn a raw space into a filesystem - I saved an engine by SECONDS once, by looking over the shoulder of said sysop as I walked past....

Apart from that, I find that admin is slightly simpler simply because you don't need to run a mkfs style of command ;-)

I have heard that Solaris (?) is in the habit of re-creating /dev at boot time, and I know that DG-UX used to do the same thing. Therefore some sort of tool is needed to make sure the raw devs exist after a boot. Is this what you mean? Received on Tue Apr 13 2004 - 19:41:26 CDT