Re: The old raw devices chestnut.

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 14 Apr 2004 16:28:43 -0700

"Andrew Hamm" <ahamm_at_mail.com> wrote in message news:<c5i1eq$1uguo$1_at_ID-79573.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> Mark Bole wrote:
> > I haven't worked with an Oracle raw device since version 7.3 seven
> > years ago, and would never go back. The administrative overhead is
> > just too much of a headache.
>
> [Posting from comp.databases.informix]
>
> I've never understood the "administrative overhead" argument against raw
> spaces. Can you elicidate on the administration you think needs to be
> applied? In my experience, the only admin overhead is making sure that a
> new, naive sysop doesn't try to turn a raw space into a filesystem - I saved
> an engine by SECONDS once, by looking over the shoulder of said sysop as I
> walked past....

Funnily enough, that very reason is the one I've considered most important for years:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=1996Jun26.140851.7868%40rossinc.com&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain ( the "other hand" line has been superceded in more recent versions ).

I'd add that if you are that close to saturation where a small percentage will make such a difference, you probably need some good tuning and/or more hardware.

> Apart from that, I find that admin is slightly simpler simply because you
> don't need to run a mkfs style of command ;-)
>
> I have heard that Solaris (?) is in the habit of re-creating /dev at boot
> time, and I know that DG-UX used to do the same thing. Therefore some sort
> of tool is needed to make sure the raw devs exist after a boot. Is this what
> you mean?

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.