Re: The old raw devices chestnut.

From: Data Goob <datagoob_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 22:32:56 -0400

I've found jfs to be "fast enough", considering we are moving from SQL-Server, no raw-disks on that one ( chuckles and laughs allowed :-) . The risks that raw-disks present makes me wonder if they are worth it. Restoring raw-disk databases presents its own set of problems, whereas regular files can be backed up and restored more simply and with more flexibility. After all is said and done, we already see an increase in Linux over Windows, so the expectations are different in our shop. Maybe in a situation where you need to squeeze every bit of speed out of the system are raw-disks worth it, only to have to live with the limitations of having to restore the database in the event of a crash. ( Especially with Informix, the restore horror stories alone are enought to scare me away from raw disks. And really, if you are on a SAN, aren't you wasting your time with raw disks anyway? What 'raw' disk are you really accessing on a SAN? Having used raw disks in the past vs using regular files at least from an operational viewpoint I'd go with regular files any day of the year. Perhaps good backups will offset the fear for now of anything shitting our jfs drives until we hear of something better. JFS is supposed to be improving too, to add data journaling along with the metadata in the near future. It is also 'supposedly' the lowest overhead file system, but every few months things change, and of course the high priests of Reiser will soon come down from heaven and release yet another version to mere mortals, so it looks the game changes frequently. No matter, we'll back up the database, then restore it to whatever file system is most appropriate, but no raw disks for now, they're just not portable enough.