Re: Article about supposed "murky" future for Oracle

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 07:44:03 -0800

rkusenet wrote:

> and then?? U can prompt declare it to be useless.
> Shall I show an eweek benchmark which puts mysql (that is
> mysql and MSSQL) as fast as Oracle. Is that credible enuf for you.

Yes. Off-topic but I've no reason to doubt it.

> If u think a product is superior in performance just bcos of market share,
> then pretty soon u will have to admit a lot about SQLServer. If it is about
> tpc and other 'independent' results, then DB2 and MYSQL can also claim to be
> as fast or faster than Oracle.

This is not about superior performance from where I stand. I was just reacting to the seemingly continuous rant about how apps slow down in Oracle compared with Informix. And not once have I ever experienced that nor have I seen independent published results that support it. And as you should know from reading what I write ... I don't think benchmarks are of much value except to people in sales and marketing. I just wanted to challenge the statement you made.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu