Re: Article about supposed "murky" future for Oracle

From: rkusenet <rkusenet_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 11:12:29 -0500

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote

> This is not about superior performance from where I stand. I was
> just reacting to the seemingly continuous rant about how apps slow
> down in Oracle compared with Informix.

If u read it correctly, it is not my rant. I just mentioned what I have been told. I have never worked with Oracle to make that comment. As a matter of fact I am bit skeptical of that claim myself. here is my old posting in c.d.i.

From: rkusenet (rkusenet_at_sympatico.ca)
Subject: Re: Memories . . . .
View this article only
Newsgroups: comp.databases.informix
Date: 2002-11-27 08:12:22 PST

"Rob Vorbroker" <robv_at_dns1.vcicentral.com> wrote:-
> Of course I've been involved in installations where the data
> & Appl from an Informix engine was ported to Oracle, on new
> larger servers, with more memory, and worked horribly. Took
> 2x as much CPUs to get near same speed - Oracle's own consultants
> were baffled. I just sat and smiled - as a consultant it's hard
> to bite your tongue sometimes - especially when you want to scream
> "I TOLD YOU SO". Anyone from Honeywell listening?

Is this true??? Is Oracle that much behind Informix in performance. Somehow I find this difficult to believe.

How many users out here believe that Informix is way ahead of Oracle in performance.

If you want to read reponse to my question above, here it is: http://tinyurl.com/2zc9o

You will find quite a few interesting comments.

> And not once have I ever
> experienced that nor have I seen independent published results that
> support it.

I am sure you will point out independent published results which 'supports' that Oracle can give 10x performance over SQLServer, which we are all suppose to believe from ur experience.

I remember the last time we had some debate on TCO by IDC, u were questioning it. I am convinced that you can never be satistfied by any evidence against Oracle. So why bother?

I take this opportunity to apologize if I wrote anything nasty against you. C'mon this is not life and death for us. I mourn the death of Informix, but I am sure I can move on to other technology, even if it is inferior. After all I have my bills to pay.

rk- Received on Wed Mar 31 2004 - 10:12:29 CST