Re: How do you create a small version of a large database ?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 30 Mar 2004 16:22:27 -0800

richard.a.elliott_at_williams.com (Richard Elliott) wrote in message news:<8c132b3c.0403301134.5258b0df_at_posting.google.com>...
> I want to create a much smaller version of an existing database. I was
> planning on just using export/import with import being objects only,
> no data. The data was going to be loaded with custom sql to select a
> specific subset of the existing database via a BD link. The export
> however creates DDL that has the large extent sizes and these fail
> when being created in the smaller instance since there is not enough
> space in the table spaces. I am trying to create a database that is
> 10% the size of another. I can't edit the export text ( to adjust the
> DDL) without causing it to be corrupt. How else can this be done ?
>

> Thanks in advance for the help.

A number of possibilities. Since you have a link and are using sql, you shouldn't have to even bother with exp/imp, but can just create table as select * from whatever_at_whatever where whatever=whatever; unless you have issues with a heavily loaded database and need to extract during off-hours.

The extent issue probably comes from not using compress=N on the export. For historical reasons, the default attempts to create a single extent the size of your original data. You might want to check the initial extent sizes on your tables.

Other options can be seen by googling a thread subject "exp/imp and extents" from last week.

Remember to always post required information: http://members.cox.net/oracleunix/readme-cdos.htm

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.