Re: I hate OTN now (and Metalink's searches)

From: Teresa Redmond <XKEAAGIPVIEZ_at_spammotel.co>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 19:37:02 GMT

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 13:29:35 -0600, in comp.databases.oracle.server, Turkbear <john.g_at_dot.spamfree.com> scribbled:

>Teresa Redmond <XKEAAGIPVIEZ_at_spammotel.co> wrote:
>>
>>As someone who is learning, and has been lurking here with occasional
>>posts (and great answers!), I have found OTN to be hideous. I have
>>had a membership there for 3 years, and the last time I went to the
>>site, all of a sudden my password didn't work. I tried twice to use
>>the "forgot your password" emailer, which sent my password to my email
>>address, and the password they sent me did not work. I tried to
>>create a new user, with the expired information (that's what the
>>website said), but couldn't, because the email address is in use...
>>but the password for that email address is invalid, and I can't get in
>>there to change anything!!! So then, I had to create a NEW account,
>>and I really dislike having had to do that.
>>
>>The search capability has changed, and like I have seen others write
>>here, the results usually have nothing to do with the search term you
>>entered. I have never liked the OTN site, it has always been
>>abyssmally slow to load (if it ever loaded at all), and now it is
>>definitely worse.
>>
>>Whatever number we're up to, "'me '" || that_number.
>
>It is very confusing, especially if you used their older and friendlier version..
>I found that ( since I mostly look for
>documentation ) using this link:
>
>http://otn.oracle.com/documentation/index.html
>
>gets me to the correct section and I can then look at all the various version's docs.
>
>Helps somewhat...

Yes, I found that at some point and managed to get to my version's docs, which I then promptly bookmarked. All I need now is for OTN to shuffle up their URLs again so that my bookmarks don't work... *again*...

That's one thing I have hated for quite some time, to search in Google, find a very helpful post with a link back to OTN, then get either a 404 error or the OTN page that says whatever page you were looking for is not available anymore.

Thanks for you link, and also for your many helpful posts. :-)

--
Teresa Redmond
Programmer/Analyst III