Re: I hate OTN now (and Metalink's searches)

From: Turkbear <john.g_at_dot.spamfree.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 13:29:35 -0600

Teresa Redmond <XKEAAGIPVIEZ_at_spammotel.co> wrote:

>On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 21:00:42 -0800, in comp.databases.oracle.server,
>Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> scribbled:
>
>>DJ wrote:
>>
>>> "Mark C. Stock" <mcstockX_at_Xenquery .com> wrote in message

>>> lame.

>>> people

>>> on

>>> cases

>>> And to top it all it is really slow!
>>>
>>> but true the search is crap, the mouse over stuff doesnt work and it takes
>>> ages to get an answer on the forum
>>>
>>> Does anyone actually like it?
>>
>>Not one person I know likes the changes. What's to like about a
>>change that improves nothing, makes using a service we've paid for
>>more painful, and gives results with less speed and far less accuracy.
>>
>>I'd like to see if we can get an Oracle employee to step forward here
>>in this usenet group, and I know there are plenty of them lurking, to
>>either defend the changes or stand up and tell us how to best get them
>>rescinded.
>>
>>Thank you.
>
>As someone who is learning, and has been lurking here with occasional
>posts (and great answers!), I have found OTN to be hideous. I have
>had a membership there for 3 years, and the last time I went to the
>site, all of a sudden my password didn't work. I tried twice to use
>the "forgot your password" emailer, which sent my password to my email
>address, and the password they sent me did not work. I tried to
>create a new user, with the expired information (that's what the
>website said), but couldn't, because the email address is in use...
>but the password for that email address is invalid, and I can't get in
>there to change anything!!! So then, I had to create a NEW account,
>and I really dislike having had to do that.
>
>The search capability has changed, and like I have seen others write
>here, the results usually have nothing to do with the search term you
>entered. I have never liked the OTN site, it has always been
>abyssmally slow to load (if it ever loaded at all), and now it is
>definitely worse.
>
>Whatever number we're up to, "'me '" || that_number.

It is very confusing, especially if you used their older and friendlier version..I found that ( since I mostly look for documentation ) using this link:

http://otn.oracle.com/documentation/index.html

gets me to the correct section and I can then look at all the various version's docs.

Helps somewhat... Received on Mon Mar 29 2004 - 13:29:35 CST