Re: Enable 32K Block in 8K Block DB

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 05:25:32 +1000

"Anurag Varma" <avdbi_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:vqW9c.149$6W6.8_at_nwrddc03.gnilink.net...

> Burleson alert!!!
> Such an advice is usually given by him. And usually without any proof
> or specifics as to where/how it applies.
>
> http://www.remote-dba.cc/s56.htm

Crikey! That's a baaaaaaaaaad article!

Apart from being chronically sexist, I like the way he says TEMP will benefit from large block sizes... apparently ignoring the fact that SYSTEM and TEMP are the two tablespaces that *must* use the default block size. Has the man never encountered an "ORA-03221: Temporary tablespaces and temporary segments must have standard block size" error message?

But the bald suggestion that "all indexes should reside in 32K block size tablespaces" is irresponsibly pathetic. Never mind the fact that I/O isn't going to respond to bigger Oracle block sizes on a file system without direct I/O. The bigger worry is in an OLTP environment, it's a recipe for buffer busy waits like you wouldn't believe. Clearly, Burl. has never heard of the minor matter of "contention".

You ever get that feeling you're banging your head against a brick wall?

Regards
HJR