Re: agent, clusters and failover

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 08:58:58 +1000

Are you talking about the Intelligent Agent?

Or something else??

If it's the Intelligent Agent, then of course you need one on every node, otherwise you can't manage the cluster *as* a cluster, but merely as a collection of separate instances. Enterprise Manager, for example, uses GSD on one node to talk to the other GSDs on the other nodes to perform, for example, cluster-wide shutdowns or backups or exports. GSD pulls off that trick by in turn talking to the Intelligent Agents on each node to handle the actual scheduling of a job. No Intelligent Agent, no cluster-wide scheduling.

Maybe I've misunderstood your question though.

For example, the question "should I bind the agent at the service or at the node" means nothing if we're talking about the Intelligent Agent, since that is intrinsically a "node process", running independently of whether or not the instances comprising your RAC are actually up or not.

Regards