Re: ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error while creating a database manually

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 18:25:24 +1000

"Ld" <ld_at_ldd1234.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I want to create a database manually in 9i.

I've got to ask why. On Windows, use the GUI tools. That's what they're there for.

>I am running the Oracle 9i
> server on a Windows XP system.
> This is the step I take initially before I enter the startup nomount
> pfile=U:\Oracle\admin\cars\pfileinitCARS.ora. I have set the enviornment
> variables already.

And your service?

Steps to create a database manually on Windows.

  1. Create init.ora
  2. Either create a password file (orapwd) or add yourself to the ORA_DBA group or check you're already a member
  3. Create the service (oradim)
  4. Set environment variables
  5. SQL Plus as a privileged user
  6. Startup nomount