ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error while creating a database manually

From: Ld <ld_at_ldd1234.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 15:32:23 +0800

Hi all,

I want to create a database manually in 9i. I am running the Oracle 9i server on a Windows XP system.
This is the step I take initially before I enter the startup nomount pfile=U:\Oracle\admin\cars\pfileinitCARS.ora. I have set the enviornment variables already.

D:\sqlplus /nolog

SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production on Sun Mar 28 15:22:45 2004

Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

SQL> connect SYS as sysdba
Enter password:
ERROR:
ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error

Can anyone advise what is wrong here? I cannot enter the "startup nomount pfile=U:\Oracle\admin\cars\pfileinitCARS.ora". without connecting in the SQLPLUS console.

I have read the Oracle 9i course material but it is too vague when comes to creating the database manually. I have also searched some Oracle website but they
either contains bugs in the procedure or is not accurate.

I know I can use dbca to create the database but I want to go a little lower level as I am a Oracle newbie

MIllions of thanks

ld Received on Sun Mar 28 2004 - 01:32:23 CST