Re: dynamic service registration

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 05:46:03 +1100

"Ed Stevens" <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote in message news:4tj0605l02mcsh6ruejsaukbb5rf4qfd73_at_4ax.com...
> On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 10:54:08 +1100, "Howard J. Rogers"
> <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote:
>

> >"Ed Stevens" <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote in message
> >> Howard,
> >>
> >> Thanks for your reply. That explanation is pretty much how I
> >> understood this going in, though I didn't remember that the
> >> auto-register interval was 5 minutes. However, even after a few
> >> hours, the listener status hasn't changed, and when I just now did the
> >> 'alter system register', and checking the listener status after .. it
> >> still hadn't shown up.
> >
> >Well, do you have local_listener set in the init.ora? That directs PMON
> >register with a listener other than the default one.
> >
> >Regards
> >HJR
> >
> I looked at that . . . but was dissuaded by the phrase "register with
> a listener _other than_ the default one." (emphasis mine) I only have
> the default listener . . . that is to say, my listener.ora file only
> defines one listener . . . named 'LISTENER'.

Yes, but if local_listener is set in a resolvable way, then PMON will attempt to register with the other, non-existent, listener, and of course fail miserably to do so. But because it attempted to register somewhere else, it won't attempt to register with the real listener.

So the issue is not what is in your listener.ora, but what is in your init.ora/spfile.

What does "show parameter local_listener" return with?

Regards
HJR Received on Thu Mar 25 2004 - 12:46:03 CST