Re: dynamic service registration

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 23:49:01 +0100

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 11:07:51 -0600, Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote:

>So, if someone would care to clarify this or point me to some
>additional reading, I'd appreciate it. This is a situation where I
>know how to make it work, but I don't understand it.

I'm not sure whether I understand what is happening at your site, but here are a few suggestions:

1 issue the
set displaymode verbose
command, prior to running the services command You will get much more info, and you will be capable to distinguish between SID based connections and SERVICE_NAME based connections. 2 I remember seeing a remark in the docs, using GLOBAL_DBNAME in listener.ora effectively disables dynamic service registration. With this in mind, could you
a) delete the GLOBAL_DBNAME clause (leaving the SID=) b) in listener.log check out whether the database actually tries to register? (It will do so every 5 minutes IIRC)

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA