Re: Multi Threaded server not working for many inserts?

From: NetComrade <andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 15:15:23 GMT

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 17:17:07 +1100, "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote:

>"NetComrade" <andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Dedicated server is definetely more stable.
>
>I have to disagree with that. You know, of course, that certain key pieces
>of Oracle Net functionality (such as CMAN to mention but one) only work
>under Shared Server configuration?
>
>It's unlikely, I think, that Oracle would 'neglect' such a core component,
>and unliklier that they would leave it lying around in a distinctly unstable
>state.

Do you not agree that MTS adds an extra layer to query execution, therefore an extra layer of complexity, which usually means an extra piece to break. The bugs I mentioned in this thread are not found in Dedicated option. I rarely have to kill 'run away' dedicated processes, however maybe once a week I have to kill 1-2 shared servers, b/c they are stuck or even spin out of control(killing sessions doesn't help).

Point also taken on CMAN.. we don't use it.. and I feel the pain some of you feel when your network admin doesn't want to open up the firewall, even if your oracle connections only come from certain IPs.

>>MTS is also not good for
>> transactions beyond a few secs.
>
>So? That's like saying "RAC is only good for when you have more than one
>instance". I mean, it's a tautology. If you're going to hog a shared server
>process for minutes on end, why not just ask for a dedicated process in the
>first place, because that's what you've effectively nabbed for yourself.
>
>Which of course brings us to the beauty of Shared Server: just because
>you've configured Shared Server for 99% of your users doesn't mean the other
>1% can't happily co-exist with their dedicated connections. If it was one or
>the other, I'd agree that Shared Server was of limited use. But it is
>usually both -with the DBA in fairly precise control over the mix. So I
>don't agree.

I kind of agree here. We use dedicated for batch jobs, and MTS for the rest. However, in environments where a most of transactions/queries take more than a few secs, MTS is not recommended, and you'd fall back to dedicated. Of course, as you point it out, that would be improper use of MTS, and Oracle does not recommend such use.

>>I think dedicated up to 1000 users is
>> fine, provided you have enough memory and the users are not very
>> active (every second).
>
>That's a lot of fairly major provisos! And of course is again rather
>tautological: Oracle itself recommends that if your box is up to the job,
>stick with dedicated server. The issue is, however, that many (I would say
>most) boxes aren't up to supporting a large, active, user community -at
>which point Shared Server is a bit of a must.

We use Oracle 8.1.7.4 on Solaris 2.7 boxes remove NSPAM to email Received on Thu Mar 18 2004 - 09:15:23 CST