Re: Multi Threaded server not working for many inserts?

From: NetComrade <andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 15:07:06 GMT

On 17 Mar 2004 22:01:02 -0800, vslabs_at_onwe.co.za (Billy Verreynne) wrote:

>andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net (NetComrade) wrote
>

>Can you please back up that statement and give me something to go on?
>Or are you shooting from the hip?
>
>My experience with MTS is very different. Which is why I would like to
>know what your's are..

I am not trying to discourage you from using MTS, and I am glad you don't enounter the bugs I've encountered. I am telling you that from my experience I have enountered bugs with MTS which do not seem to surface with Dedicated Server. We'll see how the latest patch takes care of some of the problems we've been encountering under high load or when our application crashes. It is not uncommon for me to see dispatchers spinning or servers stuck in WAIT(RESET) state. I am also a strong believer that an application capable of connection pooling connecting through dedicated servers will be more stable and have less overhead, however that belief is not founded on anything other than my experience (and not testing/benchmarking).

>> I think dedicated up to 1000 users is
>> fine, provided you have enough memory and the users are not very
>> active (every second).
>
>You also think that running 30+ instances on a single platform is also
>okay?

By instances I hope you mean databases. In which case I think that maybe 10 is OK on a 10+ CPU box. The beauty of having separate databases in rapid development environement, where not all bugs (read--bad queries, bad design, etc) are not caught before going into production, is that such defficiencies will be isolated in a single database and will not affect other application. In addition, frequently different apps require different database versions, which is luckily not the case in my environment .......
We use Oracle 8.1.7.4 on Solaris 2.7 boxes remove NSPAM to email Received on Thu Mar 18 2004 - 09:07:06 CST