Re: Multi Threaded server not working for many inserts?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 19 Mar 2004 06:04:56 -0800

andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net (NetComrade) wrote

> I am also
> a strong believer that an application capable of connection pooling
> connecting through dedicated servers will be more stable and have less
> overhead, however that belief is not founded on anything other than my
> experience (and not testing/benchmarking).

IMO, thinking that relatively new and imature java app server application pool implementation is better than a mature and fully db integrated connection pooling feature, is bs.

I have shown Java app tier programmers how Oracle MTS can handle a 1000+ of their JBOSS sessions on my little R&D 9i Database running on a desktop Dell (which btw only has 256MB RAM) without a problem. That shut them up when it came to their "opinion" that I should be using dedicated server on our big HP-UX boxes and not MTS - and that their app pooling is better than MTS.

And yes, I used my little Dell desktop to prove that friggen point with an extra shiny and sharp edge.

> >You also think that running 30+ instances on a single platform is also
> >okay?
>
> By instances I hope you mean databases. In which case I think that
> maybe 10 is OK on a 10+ CPU box.

<snipped>

Yeah.. I don't get opinions like this. I truly don't. Paying 10x the overheads in SGA, PMONs, SMONs, LOG writers, DB writers, temp space, undo space, etc. etc. What on earth for!? To feel "comfortable" when wallowing in your own ignorance?

--
Billy